Matt Canlis is the creator of Godspeed, a short film about the spiritual formation he experienced during his 13 years as a parish minister in Scotland. Today he serves as pastor of Trinity Church in Wenatchee, Washington where he and his congregation are trying to translate the wisdom learned from people rooted in the parishes of Scotland onto American soil. In this episode of the RePlacing Church Podcast, he joins me to discuss:
- How his mentor and friend Eugene Peterson started the geographical revolution in Matt’s life (3:43)
- How the parish helped him escape the sickness of the American church (5:46)
- Why pastors should spend less time preparing sermons (14:14)
- The five rooted places of a minister in the Scottish parish and what they teach us about our true identity (19:12)
- The definition of parish in Scotland (21:53)
- The one thing he learned about reading the Bible from a character in his parish (28:39)
- How to translate the wisdom of the Scottish parish into the USAmerican context (34:11)
- The one thing he would replace in the church (39:55)
*Originally posted at theV3movement.org
*Get your free RePlacing Church Resource List, a guide to being and becoming church in the neighborhood.
Episode Song Credits: “Another Wrong to Right” by Mercir. “Closed” by Zadok Wartes. Used with Permission.